Why the cloud computing market is projected to reach $411bn by 2020
- Worldwide public cloud services market revenue is projected to grow 18.5% in 2017 reaching $260.2B, up from $219.6B in 2016.
- 2016 worldwide SaaS revenue exceeded Gartner’s previous forecast by $48.2B.
- SaaS revenue is expected to grow 21% in 2017 reaching $58.6B by the end of this year.
- Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) is projected to grow 36.6% in 2017 alone, reaching $34.7B this year making this area the fastest growing of all cloud services today.
Gartner’s latest worldwide public cloud services revenue forecast published earlier this month predicts Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS), currently growing at a 23.31% Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR), will outpace the overall market growth of 13.38% through 2020. Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) revenue is predicted to grow from $58.6B in 2017 to $99.7B in 2020. Taking into account the entire forecast period of 2016 – 2020, SaaS is on pace to attain 15.65% compound annual growth throughout the forecast period, also outpacing the total cloud market. The following graphic compares revenue growth by cloud services category for the years 2016 through 2020. Please click on the graphic to expand it for easier reading.
Catalysts driving greater adoption and correspondingly higher CAGRs include a shift Gartner sees in infrastructure, middleware, application and business process services spending. In 2016, Gartner estimates approximately 17% of the total market revenue for these areas had shifted to the cloud. Gartner predicts by 2021, 28% of all IT spending will be for cloud-based infrastructure, middleware, application and business process services.
Another factor is the adoption of platform as a service (PaaS). Gartner notes that enterprises are confident that PaaS can be a secure, scalable application development platform in the future. The following graphic compares the compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) of each cloud service area including the total market. Please click on the graphic to expand it for easier reading.
- » OpenStack ‘Rocky’ makes it easier to deploy on bare metal
- » Why Google needs to make machine learning its growth fuel
- » Cloudian raises $94 million in series E round, says object storage ‘an idea whose time truly has come'
- » Cloud security and small businesses – what you need to know to avoid the pitfalls
- » Puppet State of DevOps 2018: DevOps continues to evolve – but resist temptation to skip steps