Ford invests $182.2 million in cloud-based software company Pivotal
(Image Credit: iStockPhoto/VanderWolf-Images)
With a view to improve its software development capabilities and fast track innovations to customers, Ford has invested $182.2 million in cloud-based software company Pivotal. The automaker is working towards becoming an auto and a mobility company. Along with a focus on its core automotive business, Ford is looking to boost its Ford Smart Mobility initiative by pursuing leadership in connectivity, mobility, autonomous vehicles, the customer experience, and data and analytics.
Mark Fields, Ford president and CEO, said: “Expanding our business to be both an auto and mobility company requires leading-edge software expertise to deliver outstanding customer experiences. Our investment in Pivotal will help strengthen our ability to deliver these customer experiences at the speed of Silicon Valley, including continually expanding FordPass – our digital, physical and personal mobility experience platform.”
Ford has collaborated with Pivotal on the development of FordPass that provides new customer services, like remote access to vehicles through a smartphone app, and mobility solutions, such as parking and car sharing. Now, Ford plans to integrate Pivotal’s advanced software development methodologies and technology across the IT, product development, and research and advanced engineering teams. Ford’s on-demand Dynamic Shuttle pilot program will feature Pivotal’s next-generation cloud platform and analytics capabilities.
What are your thoughts on Ford's investment in Pivotal? Let us know in the comments.
- » Google Cloud acquires Cornerstone to help customers migrate their mainframes
- » Hedera Hashgraph selects Google Cloud as preferred cloud provider
- » Human error and misconfigurations primary source of Kubernetes security snafus, report says
- » Alibaba Cloud breaks $1.5bn in revenues amid hope of eCommerce migration encouragement
- » DataOps preparation: It’s time to get your data out of silos and into the action